In the first part of this series, we learned what superfoods are and how they can make a change to our lives. We discovered that superfoods do not possess just a single nutrient, but many. They offer us numerous benefits at the same time so effectively you get more nutrition with lesser amount of food that you consume.
Part 1 also explained why we should eat superfoods. They’re rich in nutrients and work miracles in keeping your mind and body healthy. They help you eliminate toxins more regularly and leave you with a healthy glow. They help in maintaining your weight and you can continue to stay healthy without having to take annoying vitamins or mineral tablets.
In this part of our sequence, we will learn about six superfoods that can make a remarkable change in your life.
5. Spirulina – Spirulina is a specific type of blue green algae that has been around from a long time. This amazing superfood is full of proteins, and it is becoming quite popular as a nutrition supplement. Spirulina is classified among algae but to be truthful, it lies between the animal and plant kingdom because of its metabolic functions and cell structure that make it a step above typical plants but not quite in the animal kingdom yet.
So, what are the health benefits of this amazing superfood and how can it help you? Let’s take a look…
* Consists of plenty of vitamin A, E, B complex and C.
* Is a rich source of minerals like calcium, magnesium and iron.
* Has plenty of antioxidants that help in removing free radicals to keep you healthy and young; these antioxidants are also known to help in combating cancer
* Has a distinctive blue green color that is essentially one of the reasons why this superfood is a cancer fighter.
* Helps in building protein, which is even better than soy.
* Is loaded in GLA or Gamma Linolenic Acid. GLA is an essential fatty acid that helps in keeping the heart healthy; people have also found it to be beneficial in controlling weight and PMS problems.
* Helps food digestion and it also diffuses the appetite so that you do not feel that hungry.
* Consists of beta carotene in a form that is even more powerful than what is found in carrots.
* Consists of lutein, which is really important for the eyes.
* Consists of phytonutrients such as polysaccharides, sulfolipids and calcium spirulan which are rather uncommon but offer lots of health benefits.
* Helps in making people feel energetic because it balances the immune system and helps your body absorb necessary nutrients and heal.
* Helps in cleansing our bodies, especially where heavy metals such as mercury and dioxin are in excess.
Research is still on to figure out the long-term benefits of Spirulina. Spirulina is easy to get although you must be careful to buy pure forms, because impure varieties are easier to get but just as harmful.
Spirulina is available in tablets or powder form, and the latter could well be added to your smoothies and milkshakes to make them more healthy.
6. Blue green algae – Algae are among the oldest forms of life on earth and blue green algae are certainly one of the oldest. These simple plants have a bad reputation because they’re often responsible for water blooms that clog lakes and cause harm to marine life. However, blue green algae have their uses also and even have plenty of benefits. In fact, recent studies have concluded that blue green algae like Spirulina are in fact a powerful superfood with chockfull of goodness and nutrients.
Blue green algae –
* Are full of antioxidants that are important to fight free radicals that cause condition and ageing.
* Are known to relax blood vessels and lower the lipid content of blood.
* Help people who want to reduce their weight or lose weight faster. It’s worth noting that blue greens have a lot of nutrients but very little calories, which make it such an ideal superfood.
* Help in lowering the blood pressure.
* Consist of a high amount of protein and help in keeping blood sugar levels in control. Also helpful in cleansing the body so people who are fasting can take it without any qualms.
* Aid the growth of intestinal bacteria, which is good for digestion.
* Reduce bad cholesterol and increase great cholesterol.
* Help in overcoming bad breath
Blue green algae also have a few side effects so care should be taken when eating them because sometimes it can cause headaches, sweating and flushing. Another important thing to note is that blue green algae that are harvested from the wild can be extremely toxic and cause problems such as vomiting, liver damage and diarrhea.
A great idea would be to only purchase organic blue green algae and make them a regular part of your diet. Blue green algae are available in the form of capsules, powder, tablets and flakes. Make sure you take only the recommended amount of dosage so that you derive the health benefits with out the side effects.
7. Marine Phytoplankton -The marine phytoplankton has been the blue whale’s food for as long as it has been around. Do we really require another testimonial to the phytoplankton’s amazing ability to make the blue whale so strong and healthy? Not necessarily, but we’ll look at it anyway because the marine phytoplankton is now being considered one of the top most superfoods that are there on earth.
The marine phytoplankton has been on our planet for billions of years and was instrumental in getting human life started on the planet because of its ability to give out oxygen.
We already know how well blue green algae and Spirulina work for us, but close on their ranks is this amazing superfood, which is distinguished from the others because it’s full of live nutrients.
So, how can the marine phytoplankton help us?
* Marine phytoplankton has a large whopping amount of carotenoids, amino acids and minerals. Many of these fight ageing and others help in fighting condition causing free radicals.
* Trace minerals found in marine phytoplankton like zinc, selenium, strontium, magnesium, iodine and chromium are helpful in many ways right from controlling thyroid function to fighting cancer and reversing neurological disorders.
* Marine phytoplankton consists of phytochemicals which are excellent for removing toxins from your body, aiding in circulation and preventing abnormal cell division that mostly leads to cancer.
* Helps preventing diseases that cause degeneration of the body and mind
Marine phytoplankton has so numerous nutrients that it’s hard to classify them all here. Suffice it to say that it contains all the goodness required to treat conditions and disorders such as atherosclerosis, eczema, Parkinson’s condition, asthma, osteoporosis and numerous other conditions.
Raw marine phytoplankton is really potent and there are numerous products which offer it to you in liquid form. Of course, it’s also available as powder or tablet but many health aware people feel that it loses its powers and potency in case it’s processed in any form.
8. Aloe – Aloe is well known today for many reasons, be it for providing soft and supple skin or to help assuage mild burns or probably even help in diaper rash. However, did you know that aloe vera is also a superfood and can be consumed because it provides many really astounding health benefits?
Aloe vera has long been recognized for its superficial effects on our body but now researchers are realizing that this plant is quite a potent superfood as well. Here are many of the benefits it provides:
* Helps maintain the balance of great bacteria in the intestinal tract so that digestion is great
* Helps people struggling with allergies and helps in keeping blood sugar normal.
* Consists of trace minerals such as selenium, calcium, zinc, chromium and magnesium, which are really great for health.
* Polysaccharides help in always keeping the immune system healthy.
* Detoxifies the body and even removes harmful bacteria from the body.
* Consists of sterils, which greatly lower the risk of atherosclerosis.
* Helps in healing and preventing fungus infections.
Aloe can be taken in the form of juice, smoothies, soups, dips or even salad dressing and it will provide all the much needed nutrients with out a hitch.
9. Hemp seed – Hemp as we know is an extremely flexible product of nature and right from ropes to paper, hemp has been instrumental in making our lives easier. However, in recent times, hemp seed has slowly gained popularity as a superfood because of its astounding powers in keeping us healthy.
Consistent research is being conducted on this aspect but we do know that hemp seed helps us in the following ways:
* Hemp seeds are full of important amino acids and fatty acids that are required for a healthy life; in fact, hemp seeds are better than meat, eggs and soy, traditional sources of protein because of its amazing amino acid profile.
* It has calcium, iron also as other minerals such as zinc, magnesium, manganese and copper.
* Hemp seeds are known to relieve the symptoms of those suffering from eczema.
* Hemp seeds are richer in omega-3 than walnuts.
* Hemp seeds are ideal for vegans who do not eat meat at all as it meets all their protein requirements.
* Hemp seeds make your immune system stronger and helps you fight diseases better.
* Hemp oil derived from hemp seeds is the best possible EFA (Essential Fatty Acid) supplement there’s.
Hemp seeds could be consumed in its raw form; they can be made into hemp milk like soy milk, or made into tea. Hemp leaves can also be added to salads while there’s hemp tofu and hemp butter as well. There are a lot of recipes that can liven up your meal with the goodness of hemp.
10. Coconut – Tropical countries where coconuts abound usually take them for granted. On the other hand, since they also consume enough coconut water always, it’s one of the reason for their good health. Coconut water found inside the shell is pure because of the numerous filters it has had to pass through till it reached the center.
Did you know that tender coconut water is very similar to the plasma in human blood? So, whenever you drink tender coconut water mixed with some other fresh juice, preferably a green leaf one like wheat grass, you’re giving your body an astounding boost of power and energy.
Soft coconut meat has its own uses also but here is a look at what coconut water can do for you:
* Those struggling with cholera can find great alleviation in tender coconut water because of its albumin and sodium content.
* For those with kidney stones, drinking coconut water helps in tackling the pain, while protecting the kidneys from bad calcium sources.
* Coconut water, at times, is used as an alternative for blood plasma because of its purity.
* Coconut cream and coconut oil have Medium Chain Fatty Acids, which are instrumental in making the immune system more powerful.
* Coconut oil contains antioxidants such as pregnenolone that are highly useful for the body.
* Coconut cream and coconut oil help in balancing the blood sugar level and enable you to with out food with out feeling the onset of hypoglycemia.
* In young coconuts, the meat inside is soft and is excellent for creating breast milk.
Coconuts are without a doubt a superfood that have been overlooked largely because of misleading reports of cholesterol increase on coconut consumption. There is no end to the different uses that can be created with the humble coconut, right from oil to cream or just its water.